As the digital environment advances and the world relies on technology more than ever, particularly after the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic, organisations are increasingly recruiting tech professionals.
In recent years the technology sector in Nigeria has been rapidly growing in terms of attracting funding, scaling outside the country and attaining unicorn statuses. In 2022, Nigerian startups accounted for 27.4% ($967.2 million) of the total funding. All of these have culminated in an increase in the demand for skilled professionals.
The appeal for tech jobs is strong due to a number of reasons. Some of the reasons range from high salaries, opportunities for growth and positive impact on the economy. These gains make them attractive career options for individuals with the right skills and expertise.
We curated a list of high-paying tech jobs in Nigeria in 2023 to help make your decision easier. Regardless of the stage, you are in your career journey, this article highlights the skills, and experience you might need to acquire to land that high-paying tech job.
To standardise our list, we used Glassdoor’s salary index. The salaries we used are the base (least) salaries you can expect from each of these tech jobs as a beginner. Also, the average experience of all the jobs compared is 0 - 2 years. We expect that as you progress and gain more experience in your career, your salary will increase.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the top 10 highest-paying tech jobs in Nigeria. They are Data scientists, Product marketers, Java developers, Software engineers, Content marketers, Business analysts, Machine learning engineers, DevOps engineers, Digital marketers, and Database administrators.
1. Digital marketer
Average annual salary: ₦1,800,000
Digital marketing managers are responsible for the overall digital marketing strategy of a company. They are in charge of the day-to-day management of projects and ensure that they are completed successfully. Digital marketing managers manage social media campaigns, content calendars, and maintain the company's content, among many other tasks. They also will measure the effectiveness of various marketing campaigns.
Skills required for Digital marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and social media marketing.
- Content creation
- Data analytics.
2. Content marketer
Average annual salary: ₦2,400,000
A content marketer's role is to develop a consistent brand identity for a company and establish its online presence. This job involves overseeing marketing strategies to engage customers and ensure that they have a positive view of the company and its products or services. They use information, such as metrics and statistics, about the target customers' demographics and preferences to create multimedia content that raises brand awareness.
Skills required for Content marketers
- Knowledge of content management systems (CMS).
- SEO best practices.
- Sales and content marketing tools.
3. Business analyst
Average annual salary: ₦2,400,000
Business analysts collect and analyse data for potential business expansion. They identify specific business opportunities and influence shareholders to support business projects, lead projects, and coordinate with other teams to produce better results and outcomes. They also test out the business processes and recommend relevant improvements.
Skills required for Business analyst
- Certification in necessary programs such as Agile, SQL, or Scrum.
- Fluent in statistics and able to conduct business process analysis.
- Basic programming skills.
4. Machine learning engineer
Average annual salary: ₦2,400,000
Machine learning engineers are the designers of self-running software that brings machines the ability to automate models that are predictive. They work with data scientists to take information and feed curated data into the models that they've uncovered or discovered. They use theoretical models within the data science sphere and build them out to scale as functioning and productive units or models that handle terabytes of real-time data.
Skills required for Machine learning engineering
- Fluency in applicable software, systems, and processes, such as SIRI, APIs, JAVA, and C.
- Experience with algorithm design and natural language processing.
- Comfortable working with big data, statistics, and frameworks.
5. Data scientist
Average annual salary: ₦3,000,000
Data scientists utilise their analytical, statistical, and programming skills to collect, analyse, and interpret large data sets. They then use this information to develop data-driven solutions to difficult business challenges.
Skills required for Data scientist
- Data visualisation, data migration, and data modelling.
- Knowledge of machine learning.
- Knowledge of programming languages Python, C/C++, Scala, and SQL.
Related post: 20 top tech skills that require no coding
6. DevOps engineer
Average annual salary: ₦3,036,000
A DevOps Engineer combines an understanding of both engineering and coding. They work with various departments to create and develop systems within a company. From creating and implementing systems software to analysing data to improve existing ones, a DevOps Engineer increases productivity in the workplace.
Skills required for DevOps engineering
- Solid cloud computing skills, such as database management and network management.
- Understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GPC) and Microsoft Azure.
- Understanding of best practices regarding system security measures.
- Advanced education and application of business analysis techniques and strategy.
7. Product managers
Average annual salary: ₦3,198,000
Product managers are responsible for the strategy and blueprint of a product or product line. They're tasked with finding the why, what, and when of a product, and they communicate its business value to a product team in a clear, concise way to ensure the team understands the purpose behind the new product or release. They lead the product team and all aspects from the conception of the product to its launch.
Skills required for Product managers
- A/B testing
- Data Analysis Skills
- Product Roadmap Development
- Market Research Skills
- Basic Knowledge of Agile Methodology
8. Database administrator
Average annual salary: ₦3,300,000
Database administrators ensure a company’s database is operational, secure, and searchable by building database systems according to the specialized roles of their users, and with regard to the end-users needs and views. They are responsible for the storing, organizing, presenting, and using and analysis of the company’s database management software. They also perform tests or modifications to ensure that a database runs and performs correctly.
Skills required for Database administrator
- Experience with Microsoft Vista and SQL Server.
- Experience with DMLSS, MYSQL, PostgreSQL, UNIX, and DBMS software and systems.
- Knowledge of Linux, Oracle Database, Cloud software and systems, and Agile. Familiarity with relational databases, backup and recovery, and scripting.
Related post: Seven tech skills to learn during ASUU strike
9. Software engineer
Average annual salary: ₦3,420,000
Software engineers write, debug, maintain, and test software that instructs a computer to accomplish certain tasks, such as saving information, performing calculations, etc. A software engineer will convert what needs to happen into one of many programming languages.
Skills required for Software engineer
- Coding and computer programming.
- Software testing.
- Object-oriented design (OOD).
- Software development.
10. Java developer
Average annual salary: ₦3,600,000
Java developers create a variety of web applications (apps) to go to market and fill existing customer orders. You will work as part of a software development team and be responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining Java applications.
Skills required for Java developer
- Expert level in Java programming.
- Experience in Database management.
- Experience in Computer architecture.
- Experienced in developing web applications (apps).