The Lagos Google Developer Group (GDG Lagos) is hosting a developer festival (DevFest) on December 3, 2021, at the Landmark Event Centre, 9 AM prompt.
DevFests are large-scale community-run events that feature speaker sessions across Google product areas, workshops, codelabs, and hackathons. GDGs around the world organise their DevFests, which provide a platform for developers, designers, tech professionals and anyone interested in tech to connect and learn about open technologies and Google products.
GDG Lagos hosted DevFest 2018 at the Zone Tech Park and over 2,200 developers and tech enthusiasts were in attendance. Ditto DevFest 2019 which was held at the Grand Atrium. Last year's DevFest was a virtual event due to the global pandemic and the social unrest across Nigeria's commercial capital.
This year will feature sessions on mental health, mobile and web development, design, cloud, DevOps, machine learning, and others yet to be announced. These sessions will take place concurrently so it's advisable to plan ahead to attend only sessions that fit your learning goals.
Register to attend here.
Meet the partners of DevFest Lagos 2021
DevFest Lagos 2021 is sponsored by more than 20 brands including Google. This attests to the success of previous editions as far back as 2014 and the genius and grit of the organising team. DevFest Lagos organisers include:
- INITS Limited CTO Femi Taiwo
- Bumpa CEO Kelvin Umechukwu
- Jesudetan Onasanya, Consultant at Link Commerce
- Access Bank Digital Innovation Manager Alli Omogbolahan
- Bitnob Content Editor Maryann Onuoha
- AAO Consulting In-house Counsel Karen Chukwu
- Sourcegraph is a web-based code search and navigation tool, making finding and fixing code easy for development teams.
- Interswitch provides Pan-Africa payment solutions that help commerce evolve, businesses grow, and individuals thrive.
- infobip is a leading omnichannel communication platform for businesses.
- Africa's Talking is a mobile technology firm integrating reliable two-way SMS, voice, and USSD functionality across mobile providers in Africa.
- Convoy by Fraindev is a cloud-native webhook service with out-of-the-box security, reliability and scalability.
- Thepeer has a bold mission of enabling business-to-business transfers for their customers.
- Gupsup enables better customer engagement through conversational messaging. It's a leading conversational messaging platform, powering over six billion messages per month.
- Nigeria Startup Bill (NSB) is a joint initiative by Nigeria’s tech startup ecosystem and the Presidency to harness the potential of the country's digital economy through co-created regulations.
- Turing enables businesses to hire developers vetted across seniority levels for 100+ skills and tech talent from anywhere in the world can apply for remote software jobs in the US on the platform.
- Aboki Africa provides foreign bank accounts for Africans to send and receive cross-border payments.
- Betdemand is a DeFi service that pools together funds — cryptocurrencies – in a sport event prize pool, allowing users to predict a game outcome and giving cash rewards to winners without anyone losing money.
- OkHi is providnig the world’s next generation smart addressing system
- Tek Experts is a leading global provider of tech support and professional services
- Àșà Coterie is a cross-disciplinary community of passionate designers
- Bumpa provides a one-stop shop for online businesses. It's provides everything you need to sell online, offline and on social media; track orders; engage customers; receive payments; and a free website.
- Paystack is the "Stripe for Africa" that was acquired by Stripe last year.
- Tunga is a staff augmentation firm that works with African software developers.
- SparkFun is an online retail store that sells the bits and pieces to make your electronics projects possible.
- Arm is a software design company. Its primary business is in the design of ARM processors.
- Seerbit is a pan-African payment platform that helps small and medium enterprises and companies process fast, seamless, inclusive and secure online and offline payments.
- Protocol Labs is an open-source research and development lab. It builds protocols, tools, and services to radically improve the internet.
Meet the speakers for DevFest Lagos 2021
The confirmed speakers DevFest 2021 are:
- Lola Shehu, Senior Product Designer at Paystack
- Robert John Thas, Google Developer Expert for Machine Learning
- Shulammite John, Founder of Femcode Africa
- Chiziaruhoma Ogbonda, Mobile Engineer and Flutter/Dart Google Developer Expert
- Rising Odegua, Software and Machine Learning Engineer
- Kehinde Ladipo, Software Engineer at Microsoft
- Prosper Opara, Full-stack engineer
- Shodipo Ayomide, Global Head, Developer Advocacy at Polygon Technology
- Afam Madu Daniel, Startup Incubation Manager at Roar Nigeria Hub
- Charles Njoku, Co-founder & CEO of Spire
- Samuel Akinosho, Tech and Business Leader
- Aregbe Ayomide, Software Engineer at Community.com
- Michael Bali, Application Engineer at Sourcegraph
- Subomi Oluwalana, Co-founder and CTO of Frain
- Trojan Okoh, Co-founder and CTO of Thepeer