Uber launches Uber Connect in Lagos to enable domestic delivery
Uber Connect will enable efficient delivery of goods amongst consumers and businesses in Lagos, Nigeria
The world's largest ride-sharing company, Uber Technologies has announced the commencement of Uber Connect in Lagos, to enable efficient delivery of goods amongst consumers and businesses.
Lagos is Nigeria’s smallest state located on a 3,577 square kilometers. However, it has over 24.5 million inhabitants, the highest urban population in Nigeria. With these facts, it will help you understand why Lagosians spend about 3 out of 10 years in traffic . Per Forbes, Lagos is one of the top worsts cities for driving with 60% congestion and 10.70 mph average speed.
Uber Connect's deliveries will be made by bike, to affordable same-day delivery service that provides a cost-effective, on-demand, no-contact delivery solution for family and friends, as well as small businesses — while avoid the traffic challenges often experienced in metropolis.
Tope Akinwumi, Country Manager for Uber Nigeria said “the benefits of Uber’s technology platform extend beyond the actual ride-sharing abilities of Uber. With the growth of on-demand deliveries rising due to the integration of digital technology, we have adapted our platform to meet the evolving needs of the communities we serve, while providing new revenue streams and earning opportunities for drivers”
Currently, Uber Connect is available Sub-Saharan Africa including Ghana, Kenya, Uganda and South Africa. With this expansion, Uber intends to tap into the e-commerce and last-mile delivery sector in Nigeria that is expected to grow by about 11 per cent by 2025.
The mobility company stated that all relevant hygiene and safety protocols will be ensured during its services.
How to use Uber Connect
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver-partner ‘Where to?’ in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride (you may have to swipe up for the option).
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip. As you see the motorbike approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the motorbike’s top box.
- Share the trip status with up to 5 people in your contact list. One of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.