Hi there! We are looking for a Content Marketer/Tech Journalist to turbocharge our content efforts at BCSL (Publisher of Benjamindada.com and BD Insider).
Here at BCSL, we aim to tell the best stories out of Nigeria’s tech ecosystem. Whether it’s about an exciting new product, an industry-changing partnership, a record-breaking acquisition, or the lives of inspirational techies, we want to be the ones telling such stories. As you might notice, some of such stories stem from what we determine as "news" e.g a fundraise announcement, and product launch. Others are original, timeless content we produce e.g our Under the Hoodie Series. Whatever the case may be, we want our storytelling approach to stand out.
For this role, we are looking for a self-motivated individual with a desire to participate in the ongoing conversations about tech in Nigeria and Africa. It doesn’t matter if you’re new to the ecosystem or not, as long as you have the skillset (largely written communication), curiosity, and a relentless desire for experimentation, we want to work with you.
Primarily, we are looking for someone who is able to distill complex information into simple sentences that everyday people can understand. It means you might employ examples, analogies, and visuals to simplify and enhance your stories.
You should also be interested in exploring other content forms outside of web-based text e.g. newsletter, podcasts, videos, Clubhouse conversations, and Twitter Spaces.
BCSL is an acronym for Benda Consulting Services Limited. It was founded in 2019 by Benjamin Dada. Today, BCSL serves tech startups, non-profits and SMEs by providing communications consulting, public relations, and perception management services.
We leverage our website, benjamindada.com, as our primary channel of reaching our audience. Alongside our growing Twitter account, @dadabenblog.
Benjamindada.com is committed to impressive reporting on tech in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). And this includes publishing news items, spotlight articles, and opinion pieces that guide thought-leadership around the fast-changing technology landscape in SSA.
- Remote work
- Flexible work hours
- Health insurance
- Industry competitive salary
- Paid access to all the tools you need
- Working with a talented team of writers, business strategists and designers
- At least one year of experience as a tech journalist/content marketer at a media house, digital agency or the marketing department of a company
- Be proactive with an ownership mindset
- Have thoughts on the SSA tech ecosystem
- Excellent grasp of the English Language
- Long-form content savvy
- Eager to explore other content formats (audio and video)
- Experience working in a remote/distributed team
- Conversant with writing tools like Grammarly, Hemmingway app, and Yoast SEO
Nice to have
- SEO experience
- Knowledge of digital marketing
- Can use graphic design tools like Canva/Adobe Illustrator or just an eye for good design
- Client and industry relations: Working with startups and businesses to tell their stories. Also, nurturing relationships with experts who can act as information sources.
- Writing: Creating thoughtful and analytical pieces that leave readers impressed
- Representation: Attending events on behalf of BCSL
- Hosting: Hosting virtual conversations e.g. Tweet chats
The hiring process will span 4 stages:
- CV Submission: This stage is open to the general public. We are inviting everyone to put their best foot forward!
- Test: A case study/assessment will be sent out to select candidates from the first pool.
- Preliminary interview: Based on your performance in the assessment, you will be invited to a preliminary interview.
- Culture fit interview: Final interview with future team members to assess culture fit.